Tuesday, September 20, 2011

An Old Tradition at Chief Joseph Ranch

Once again I have managed to find my way to the ranch for a much needed rest.  The daily routine here becomes non-existent for me.  Just relaxing, visiting, going for long walks to the river, lazy afternoons reading and photography, my favorite past time.  Best of all is the time with friends and family.


I rose early and made the trek to LAX, then taking a short two hour flight to Missoula, Montana.  Bob and Janet picked me up and off we went.  First stop was quick lunch, then driving a short hour and a half to Darby.  Finally through the well known gates onto the ranch property, home away from home.  It had been two years since I was here due to my Mom's health.  I was happy to be back again.


The second day on the ranch, I was asked to participate in a ritual that has been repeated every Spring and Fall since 1886.  We loaded up in a ranch truck and inched our way along a private dirt road back to a small series diversion dams that direct water from Tin Cup Creek to irrigation trenches feeding the ranch and many neighbors along the way.  The truck was about half again as wide as the road and it made for a precarious drive. 

Once arriving at the site for the final diversion dam, we made our way over to the creek and Bob put on his waders and went in the water.  Wading over to the dam that they had built in the Spring.  The dam consisted of large boulders and several logs with plastic tarps wrapped around them.  Bob proceeded to move the boulders and secure the logs from what will come the following spring as the snow melts further up in the mountains.  We were able to assist at times, but pretty much it was a one man show.

After spending several hours there we made our way back to truck and drove back down the trail, out on the highway and back to the familiar entrance of The Chief Joseph Ranch.  It was a nice day that while work for Bob and Janet, was as outing far away from the daily routine of Orange County and working in an office for myself.






No comments: